Looking at refrigerators can quickly become overwhelming with all of the choices out there. One popular type of refrigerator for modern families is the side-by-side refrigerator.
A side by side refrigerator has the refrigerator on one side and the freezer portion on the other. Typically, the freezer section is found on the left and the refrigerator section on the right. These refrigerators often come with water and ice dispensers in the door.
A side by side refrigerator has several key advantages including:
- • Narrower doors that don't require as much space to open as a typical refrigerator
- • Easier access to items in both the refrigerator and freezer sections since most items will be at eye level or in easy reach
- • More door storage than other styles of refrigerators, allowing for greater organization and easier access to small items that could have become lost in the depths of the refrigerator shelves
While a side by side refrigerator has many advantages, it also has some downsides. Consider these small drawbacks:
- • Both the refrigerator and the freezer experience a reduction in their width. Platters, casserole dishes, and other large items maybe harder to fit in both compartments.
- • You'll need clearance on either side of the refrigerator in order to get the doors to open fully.
- • Since storage space in the freezer may be at a premium, making it difficult to store larger items or to buy in bulk.
When choosing a refrigerator, make sure you understand both the advantages and the disadvantages of a side by side unit before buying. If you want a deep freezer on hand and aren't concerned with fresh food platters, this design can be effective. On the other hand, if you entertain on a regular basis or need easier access to space in your freezer, a different style might work better for your needs.