Are you in the market for new appliances? There are some great tips to save money on your energy bill when you buy energy efficient products.
Year after year appliance manufacturers are making products to be more efficient, saving you money and reducing its impact on the environment. Your utility company wants you to get rid of old energy hogging appliances. If your old appliances are energy star rated, consider donating them to benefit a local family or business in need. Check with your local utility company. Some utility companies offer haul-away rebates, credits, and even accept donations. If your appliances are more than 10 years old and still working, replacing them could be worth the investment in the long run.
ENERGYSTAR ® products can be identified by the energy star label. This label will tell you a product's energy consumption and approximate cost for your utility bills. Smart and wi-fi connected appliances also offer some energy and cost-saving benefits!
In the center of the EnergyGuide label you will find the estimated yearly operating cost. This way you can estimate how much you might pay to run the appliance for a year based on its electricity use and the national average cost of energy. The cost appears on labels for all models and brands so you can compare energy use just like you would the price of other features.
The EnergyGuide label will give you an estimate of how much electricity the appliance uses in a year based on typical use. Multiply this by your local electricity rate on your utility bill to better judge but your actual operating cost will be.
If you see the Energy Star logo, it means the product is better for the environment because it uses less energy than a standard model.
Check out the most popular energy star certified products: clothes washers, clothes dryers, air conditioners, refrigerators, and dishwashers. These appliances earned the energy star because they give you the option to use less energy at home.
To use a front loading washing machine, you need to make sure to buy high efficiency or HE detergent. Simply look for the HE label on the detergent bottle. When you use HE laundry soap, you only need to use a tiny bit, about 2 tbsp for a normal full size load. You will get the same effective cleaning performance, you won't have to buy that big bottle of detergent as often. Buying less liquid detergent will also improve the environment, as you are going through less soap, and fewer plastic containers.
New washing machines are smarter than ever. Smart-dispensing washing machines take the guesswork out of adding soap to your washer cycle. Simply preload high efficiency detergent and let your washer do the rest. It’s almost certain that your smart dispenser will help you conserve laundry soap and protect the health of your machine. If you are interested in this feature look for Whirlpool Load & Go ™, Maytag Optimal Dose Dispenser, or GE SmartDispense™washing machines.
An old top loading washing machine uses 3 times more water than a high efficiency front loading washing machine. High efficiency front loading washers also offer the fastest spin speeds, essentially wringing the water out of your clothes at the end of the cycle. Spinning excess water out of your clothes is essential because your dryer will have less work to do.
Most high-efficiency washing machines are load sensing. This means that your washer can detect how much a load weighs and will adjust the cycle duration and washer drum movement to best clean your clothes. Most dryers are moisture sensing. This means that your dryer can detect when your clothes are dry and will power down the cycle.
Energy efficient clothes dryers work best when paired with an energy efficient washer with a fast spin speed. Since your dryer will have less work to do, your cycle time will be shorter. Many new dryers offer reduced energy options. This option uses less heat which will reduce energy consumption, and prolong the life of your clothes.
Opting for a smart or wifi connected washing machine or clothes dryer can also save you money. Some smart washing machines can be scheduled to run a cycle when the utility cost is least expensive.
We should take better care of our clothes. Clothes are expensive. Shopping for fast fashion can be time-consuming and wasteful. Care for your favorite garments the right way with a smart washing machine and dryer. Wi-fi connected washers and dryers give you more options to customize your laundry experience. You can choose from a wide assortment of cycles to best care for your clothes.
UltraFresh Vent with OdorBlock™
- The first and only UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ eliminates excess moisture to help prevent odors ensuring your washer stays fresh and clean.
- Built into components including the gasket, dispenser and draining system delivering protection that lives on load after load.
- Wash and dry a small load in your washer, eliminating the need to transfer clothes to the dryer
- Simply press the button to select SuperSpeed and save 40% more time on 5 cycles without sacrificing cleaning performance. With SuperSpeed, you can quickly wash a full load in only 36 minutes
- Washers with Samsung VRT Plus technology are quieter than any other washers in its class and are now 40% quieter than regular VRT. An innovative tub design and special sensors keep heavy loads balanced even at high spin speed
- Uses up to 25% less energy for each load.
- Get the ultimate clean no matter what type of detergent you prefer with the Adaptive Dispenser™.
- Electrolux washers and dryers meet strict criteria to guarantee high-quality energy efficient performance - without sacrificing clean.
- Knows after 90 seconds a more accurate time your clothes will be dried to perfection so you don't have to keep checking on your load.
You might want to consider a smart or wifi connected air conditioner that you can control from your smartphone or tablet. This way you can operate your air conditioner remotely and get your space to a comfortable temperature before you arrive home.
To use the wi-fi enabled features on your new air conditioner, simply follow the directions that come with the product. You might need to download an app where you’ll enter your model and serial number. Once your product is registered, you’ll gain the benefits of remote control, monitoring, and even service.
Dual Inverter Compressor™
- Eliminate unnecessary noise and provide cool temperatures with up to 25% energy savings. Experience the powerful yet quiet performance of LG's ultra-efficient, revolutionary inverter technology.
- Eliminating unnecessary noise for smooth operation that you'll barely notice.
- Lets you control your LG air conditioner from anywhere
- Wi-Fi cool your room anywhere, anytime from your smart device. At your convenience turn the unit on or off, change temperature, control modes, and adapt fan speeds to best meet your comfort.
- Conveniently develop a custom schedule for your AC 24 hours a day. Easily program your AC to run during the day, at night, during the week and on weekends.
- Use less energy than standard air conditioners reducing your energy usage, and ultimately lowering your utility bills.
- Wirelessly control window air conditioner functions from your smartphone
- Fan and compressor shut off temporarily when the room is cool enough, saving you time and money
More advanced refrigerators have dedicated temperature zones where you can set the optimal refrigerator temperature for the items you're storing. This way, you don't use too much, or too little power.
Smart or wifi connected refrigerators can be operated from your phone. Not only will you be able to detect a problem, should one arise, but you'll be able to adjust the temperature on your refrigerator from your smart device or speaker.
Nearly every refrigerator out there is designed for food preservation. New smart refrigerators are tackling the issue of food waste. Consumers waste thousands of dollars each year on forgotten ingredients. Most food waste is the product of disorganization and simply not knowing what to cook.
The Samsung Family Hub refrigerator is not only a media center, photo montage, and calendar, but it can track expiration dates on food items. Not only will you know what groceries you need to buy, but which items you need to use before they spoil. You can even research recipes that use these ingredients and send the instructions right to your smart oven.
- Brightens up the interior of your refrigerator so you're able to quickly spot what you want
- Precise cooling and humidity control, while reducing odor transfer
- Efficient power use enables the environment and reduces utility expenses
- Family Hub™ helps you manage your home and your life - all controlled from a Wi-Fi connected touchscreen. See inside your refrigerator with 3 built-in cameras accessible from anywhere.
- A flexible storage drawer with four different temperature settings and an adjustable Smart Divider to stay organized.
- Eco-friendly and energy-efficient.
- Separate climates in the fresh food and freezer sections help keep foods fresh.
- An extra boost of cold air restores interior to set temperature for optimum food freshness
- Fills tall bottles, stores and makes ice on the door, saving space.
Most new dishwashers use less than 7 gallons per cycle, less water than if you hand wash your dishes. Some of the more advanced dishwashers have a sensor that can determine how soiled the dishes are and will run until the dishwasher can no longer sense food particles on your plates.
DID YOU KNOW? Using the air dry setting on your dishwasher can reduce your dishwasher's energy from 15 to 50%!
Like with washing machines, you can schedule your dishwasher to operate when utility costs are lowest, as an added cost savings.
Many energy efficient dishwashers have a filter at the bottom of the dishwasher instead of a food grinder. This filter simply catches loose food particles and doesn't use electricity or moving parts.
- With four spray arms instead of two, QuadWash™ also includes Multi-Motion arms that rotate back and forth while spinning. The high pressure jets power-clean dishes from multiple angles.
- Get smartphone notifications when a cycle is complete. You can even check on the cycle status with voice commands using the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, so you don't have to lift a finger.
- The Inverter Direct Drive™ motor and the advanced self-cleaning filtration system were designed with quiet in mind with a 46 dB Rating.
- Access your dishwasher via a smartphone or tablet, receive notifications once the cycle of your dishwasher is complete or when it begins to run low on detergent tabs, or if there is ever a leakage that happens
- Transforms moisture into heat to get dishes, including plastics, 60% drier
- A bright white interior light beautifully illuminates the dishwasher's interior and makes loading easier in dim lighting
OrbitClean® Spray Arm Wash System
- Gives you better water coverage for a thorough clean every time.
- Automatically adjusts the cycle time based on how much cleaning your dishes need. Keep the unit's controls locked to avoid unwanted operation.
- This sanitize option can be added to cycles to achieve the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF®) standards of cleanliness, eliminating 99.9% of bacteria and enhancing your drying results as well.
Smart appliances can do more than cook. Your cooking appliance is considered “smart” if it connects to wi-fi. From your phone or home automation device, you will be able to adjust the temperature or monitor cooking progress. Your smart cooking appliance will be your sous-chef providing guard rails against failure in the kitchen.
No two households cook the same. Many cooking appliances such as stoves or wall ovens have many new smart features. Not only will these features help you explore many new recipes, but they can customize recipes to fit your family’s size and dietary preferences.
How can this help you save money and the environment? You will be able to create delicious meals to perfection that everyone will enjoy. This means fewer overcooked meals, less wasted food, and more happy family members.
Energy Star ® Certified
- Uses less energy than other range hoods
- Bright LED lighting shines throughout the cooking surface.
- Makes cleaning and maintenance easy.
Fully Digitized Gas Range
- Automatically tilting, 7" smooth touch glass panel provides a culinary command center for pre-programmed settings and step-by-step recipes. Control oven entirely through digitized touch control panel capable of adjusting temperature in 5 °F increments.
- Receiving expert cooking advice straight from the 7" screen, you'll be guided through determining the optimum rack setting, temperatures and timing.
- GreenClean™ cleans with the versatile power of built-in steam capabilities, rather than extreme heat or harsh chemicals.
- Oven preheats quickly to get to baking faster.
- Sync with an over the range microwave for special features.
- Innit is a personalized solution to help you easily shop for the right ingredients and confidently cook delicious meals. Step-by-step videos and easy how-tos help you go from inspiration to cooking with confidence.
- Upgrade all your favorite recipes into one dynamic format, from the simplest staples to experimental dinners and desserts. Store them all in one place, with Drop for the best cooking experiences.