Gas is the preferred cooking method by many home cooks and chefs. Gas delivers high heat and easy control. There are three kinds of gas kitchen appliances. Ranges, cooktops, and rangetops.
Gas Cooktops vs. Gas Rangetops
- A cooktop is an appliance that is your cooking surface that drops into an opening in your countertop. A cooktop is different from a range or stove in that the oven is not attached to the cooktop. Typically the knobs and controls for a cooktop are located on the cooking surface.
- A Rangetop is a more upscale version of a cooktop appliance. A rangetop is installed into an opening in your cabinets and counters. The control knobs are on the front face of the appliance giving you more cooking space for large pots and pans. Rangetops are usually more expensive, and they are known for high powered gas burners.
How to Buy a Gas Cooktop
Buying a gas cooktop is easy. Every brand has a slightly different layout, features, and design. Here are the top things to look for:
- Power Burner and Simmer BurnerGas cooking power is measured by British Thermal Units or BTUs. Most top performing gas cooktops have a power burner of 18,000 BTU or more for quick boiling and can reduce to a low simmer. The better the cooktop, the bigger the range in temperature.
- Safety FeaturesGas cooktops are different from electric cooktops or induction cooktops in that you are working with an open flame. Many gas cooktops have automatic electronic flame re-ignition. If the flame tapers out, gas might still be leaking into your kitchen. Burners with automatic re-ignition will re-ignite the burner as a safety precaution.
Some gas cooktops and rangetops have a child lock feature. This is great if you have small children. If your cooktop does not have child lock, you can purchase knob protectors or simply pull the knobs off your cooktop when it's not in use.
- Easy CleaningMost cooktops have sealed burners, meaning that the material under the burners is able to contain cooking spills. Many consumers find that sealed burners are easier to keep clean. Open burner gas appliances are more like what you'd find in a restaurant. Open burners are better for getting a higher temperature, but there are more steps to keeping the burners clean.
Some manufacturers offer dishwasher-safe cast iron cooking grates. This is because some grates have a special coating. Before putting your gas cooking grates in the dishwasher, make sure to reference the product manual. To manually clean your cooking grates, fill your sink with soapy water and dry them thoroughly.
Best Gas Cooktos and Rangetops in 2020
- Best Value Gas Cooktop 2020: Samsung NA36N7755TS 36 Inch Smart Gas Cooktop with Wi-Fi Connectivity and Bluetooth TechnologyKey Features:
22K BTU True Dual-Power Burner
- With two heat options, quickly boil water or maintain a simmer.
- Use the griddle to cook breakfast foods, grill sandwiches or sauté vegetables.
- Easily accommodate a round bottom wok on the custom wok grate. Its circular design fits snug around the burner so that heat is quickly and evenly distributed.
- Key Features:
20,000 BTU Triple Ring Burner
- Sear, fry and saute on a 20,000 BTU triple ring burner.
- Get the most from your cooktop and eliminate the need for extra cookware with an extra-large, integrated cooktop griddle.
- Enjoy the party without worrying about cleaning up, thanks to dishwasher-safe grates.
- Prevent unintended burner activation.
- Best Luxury Gas Cooktop 2020: Monogram ZGU30RSLSS 30 Inch Gas Cooktop with Dual-Flame Stacked Burners, 20K BTU Tri-Ring BurnerKey Features:
20K BTU Tri-Ring Burner
- Versatile burner creates 20,000 BTUs of intense heat, perfect for searing, frying and sautéing.
- Achieve even results with this heavy-duty cast iron griddle, designed to fit over the left-side grates.
- Provide complete 140F simmer-to-rapid-boil flexibility on all burners; the burners are sealed to the cooktop for easy cleaning.
- Best Gas Rangetop 2020: Thermador Professional Series PCG364NL 36 Inch Pro-Style Gas Rangetop with 4 Pedestal Star Burners and a Griddle or Grill OptionKey Features:
- Exclusive, patented Star Burner - most even heating, unsurpassed flame coverage. Every burner with a maximum output of 18,000 BTU (NG) and precision simmering capabilities as low as 100°F (375 BTU) with 2 ExtraLow Simmer burners
- Star design delivers superior heat spread for any size pan. The raised QuickClean base makes it easy to clean around the gas burners.
- Titanium surface non-stick, rust-proof cast-aluminum griddle and grill gives you optimal cooking versatility. The grill and griddle are removable for easy clean-up.
- Best Smart Gas Rangetop 2020: Dacor Contemporary DTT48M876LS 48 Inch Smart Natural Gas Rangetop with Auto Connected HoodKey Features:
- Quickly boil water with 22K BTU of power or maintain a gentle simmer at 750 BTU with the all brass, Dual Valve, Dual Ring Burner.
- Seamlessly integrate into the SmartThings connected platform, providing an exceptional foundation for an ever-growing ecosystem of smart connectivity.
- Activate and adjust the hood with Bluetooth and ConnectOn auto-responsive technology. Turns on the ventilation in conjunction with the cooktop, and increases the speed as necessary, with the use of a temperature sensor.
- Key Features:
- Heavy duty metallic knobs that must be initially pushed in to be turned.
- Electronic re-ignition will automatically re-ignite the burner in case the flame goes out.
- Continuous grates makes moving heavy pots easier.