As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads worldwide businesses and communities are urging residents to stay home, avoid close contact with others, and take necessary precautions to avoid spreading germs.
Germs are everywhere. To avoid getting sick, it's critical to wash your hands frequently. Did you know that there are 60,000 germs that people come in contact with every day?
Staying healthy doesn’t require a degree in microbiology; it just takes a bit of common sense and knowing where to disinfect. According to the American Cleaning Institute, "just because something looks clean, doesn’t mean it really is clean. It's critical that we use disinfectants and sanitizers are designed to kill bacteria, viruses and/or fungi on surfaces. In addition to the obvious places like floors, toilets, showers, sinks and countertops, focus on surfaces that are germ hotspots."
Kitchen Appliance Cleaning Checklist:
- Refrigerator Handles
- Microwave Handles
- Oven Handles
- Appliance Buttons and Touch Electronic Control Panels
- Dishwasher Handle
- Kitchen Sink
- Kitchen Faucet Handles
- Sink Drain
- Bathroom Sink
- Washer door Gasket (for front loading washers)
According to the Alliance of Consumer Education, "The EPA released a list of products that can kill even tougher viruses than COVID-19. These products should therefore be effective against COVID-19."
Pro tip: Make sure to reference the use and care guide for your appliance for the best cleaning practices. This is especially true when using cleaning products on control buttons and electronic control panels.
In addition to home cleaning practices, there are many appliances that can help you sanitize and purify your home.
If your washing machine has a self-cleaning cycle, run it. A self-cleaning washer cycle is a high temp cycle (typically about 150 degrees F). This will reduce the bacteria and residue living in your machine already.
If you have a front loading washer, it's a good idea to use a damp cloth or paper towel and wipe the rubber door gasket. Affresh cleaning tablets can also help you clean your washer.
If your washing machine has a sanitize or allergen cycle, consider using it on heavily soiled items. This hot cycle is typically about 170 degrees F and is designed to eliminate harmful germs and allergens. Hot water is better for killing bacteria. If you don't want to run a hot water cycle, warm soapy water should also do the trick.
- An NSF certified sanitary cycle, also officially certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, is available.
- Designed for easy, periodic maintenance to keep your washer fresh.
- The cycle uses water jets and intense heat (up to 149 degrees) to sterilize the tub and help keep your high-performing washer in tip-top condition.
- Gently but powerfully penetrates fabrics to virtually eliminate dirt, odors and wrinkles.
- Select a cycle, start or stop the wash and get notifications about when your laundry will be done, all from your smartphone.
Additional Dryer Features
- Ideal for sanitizing non-washable items quickly and easily using the power of steam. Use this cycle for cotton and polyester material. (Do NOT use for urethane foam, down feathers or delicate items)
- With Smart Pairing™, the washer can even tell the dryer to select a compatible drying cycle, making it the ultimate laundry hack.
- A hot water cycle of 170 degrees F for cotton or linen fabrics with direct skin contact or for which special hygiene requirements apply
- The web-like surface structure of the Miele honeycomb drum creates a thin film of water between the drum and the laundry. This results in laundry gliding gently and protects the fibers perfectly.
- EcoFeedback provides precise energy and water consumption data. This gives you full cost control. You can call up the prognosis for the consumption prior to the start of the selected program.
Additional Dryer Features:
Heat Pump Dryer
- Most energy efficient ventless dryer, keeps the air in the laundry space room temperature, and doesn't have lint build-up like regular vented-dryers reducing dust and build-up
Like with your washing machine, it's important to occasionally clean your dishwasher. If your dishwasher has a filter at the bottom, make sure to check it for any food particles. You should also check the spray arms to make sure they don't have any debris, as this can affect the cleaning performance of your dishwasher.
Some models have a dishwasher cleaning cycle. If yours does not, occasionally run a hot water or sanitize cycle to eliminate any odor or bacteria to clean the interior.
You can also clean your dishwasher with Affresh cleaning tablets. If you don't have them you can simply substitute baking soda and white vinegar with these easy steps:
- Remove the bottom rack of the dishwasher to access the drain. Remove any food remnants.
- Place a cup of vinegar on the upper rack and run a hot water cycle in an empty dishwasher.
- Sprinkle one cup of baking soda across the bottom of the dishwasher and run another hot water cycle.
- Eliminates Bacteria and Enhances Drying Results
- Intelligent sensors continually scan and check the progress of dishes throughout the cycle, and powerful, precision spray arms go to work targeting every item of every load
- Transforms moisture into heat to get dishes, including plastics, 60% drier
NSF® Certified Sanitize
- Achieves the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) standards of cleanliness. Operates at higher temperatures to eliminate 99.9% of bacteria.
- Identifies leaks as small as 2.4 oz and shuts itself off before water can escape.
- A heavy-duty wash gets the pots and pans clean.
Steam + Sani
- Loosens tough soils before any cycle virtually eliminating the need for soaking or pre-rinsing dishes. Plus a High-temperature rinse sanitizes and reduces 99.999% of bacteria found on dishes.
- No matter how you load your silverware basket, powerful jets blast away stuck-on food for silverware that's always spotless
- Clean hard-to-reach areas inside tall items with up to 4 dedicated jets integrated into the upper rack that shower water deep inside for the ultimate clean
Programmable 24-Hour On/Off Timer
- With the 24-Hour On/Off Timer, you can ensure your home will be cool and comfortable when you want it to be without having to worry about running up your utility bills.
- Saves energy saves you a few bucks and saves the environment. Making it a shoo-in for the Energy Star Qualified badge.
- Offers you the flexibility to control the temperature and fan speed from anywhere in the room.
- With the added benefit of energy savings, the temperature gradually increases a few degrees over the evening with maximum comfort throughout the evening hours
- Use less energy than standard air conditioners reducing your energy usage, and ultimately lowering your utility bills
- Antibacterial filter reduces bacteria, room odors, and other airborne particles to create a healthier, more comfortable environment
Friedrich Go App
- Connect in minutes to built-in Wi-Fi. Smart home/voice command device compatibility with Amazon Alexa
- Wide air discharge vents optimize airflow and minimize front panel noise
- Counterweights dampen vibration and decrease sound
- ENERGY STAR® qualified models. Money Saver® setting saves money by operating the fan only when cooling
New Humidification Function
- Adds humidity to the air for more comfortable air quality, especially in colder weather. It also helps reduce static electricity that results from dry air.
- Captures 99.97 percent of particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air that passes through it, including pollen, mold, pet dander and dust. The special Antimicrobial Layer provides extra protection against viruses and allergens.
- Splits water molecules into positively and negatively charged ions which spread throughout the room. This system effectively refreshes the air similar to the way nature cleans the environment near waterfalls or just after a thunderstorm.
- A unique purification method promotes 360 degrees of clean air delivery, including areas low to the ground where infants and toddlers can reap the rewards.
- The Clean Booster delivers clean air farther (up to 24 feet) and ensures more even distribution. Tilts up to 55° and rotates up to 70°.
- A unique multi-filter system captures 6 different types of particles to deliver purer, cleaner air.
- The PM 1.0 sensor detects contaminants one micron or smaller in diameter.
Removes 99.97% of Allergens and Pollutants as Small as 0.3 Microns
- 360° Glass HEPA filter captures ultrafine particles from the air including pollen, bacteria and pet dander.
- Year-round purification and circulation; increase airflow speed for cooling in summer.
- Automatically monitors, reacts and purifies, then reports to your Dyson Link app so you can remotely control your environment.
- Long-range projection to circulate purified air across the room.
Every home should have a styler. Not only is it great for your work wardrobe, but you will be able to easily clean and sanitize the hard-to-clean items in your home.
- Gently but powerfully penetrates fabrics for a deeper clean, while also offering a freshening cycle that reduces odors that cling to fabrics, knitwear, and even delicates.
- The Sanitary cycle powered by TrueSteam® helps reduce allergens in clothes, bedding, sportswear-even your children's plush toys.
- TrueSteam® technology reduces the odors that cling to fabrics, knitwear and even delicates. Odors from smoke, sweat and food will be a thing of the past.
- After independent testing in accredited laboratories, LG Styler has been certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
“Baking Soda & Vinegar Drain Hacks: Jack Howk / Rescue Rooter.” Rescue Rooter Portland, 18 Nov. 2019, www.rescuerooterportland.com/baking-soda-vinegar-drain-hacks/.
“Get Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Mar. 2020, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/get-your-household-ready-for-COVID-19.html.
“List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2.” EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, 16 Mar. 2020, www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2.
“SDA Product Fact Sheet Hard Surface Hygiene.” Cleaning Institute of America, 2007, www.cleaninginstitute.org/.