Homemade Crunchy Onion Rings
o Cutting board
o Chef’s knife
o Dry measuring cups
o Wet measuring cups
o Measuring spoons
o 3 Large bowls
o 3 Baker’s Secret Pans or ½ sheet pans
o 4 Cooling racks
o Parchment paper
o 1 large Onion, ½” slices
o 2 cup AP Flour
o 2 Tablespoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
o 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
o 1 cup Buttermilk
o 2 eggs
o 1 Tablespoon of Thyme Leaves (use fresh if possible)
o 1 cup Plain Panko breadcrumbs
o 1 cup olive oil
o Pam cooking spray
1. Cut onion into ½” slices and divide slices into individual rings.
2. Place cooling rack on ½ sheet pan.
3. Place onion slices on cooling rack.
4. Evenly spray both sides of onions with Pam.
5. Prepare bowls:
Bowl 1: 1 cup AP flour, 1 tbsp. Lawry’s and 1 tbsp. cornstarch, mix well.
Bowl 2: In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup Buttermilk and 2 eggs .
(Set mixture to side, can put in refrigerator until ready to use.)
Bowl 3: 1 cup AP flour, 1 cup panko crumbs, 1 tbsp. thyme leaves, 1 tbsp. Lawry’s, mix well.
6. Place onion slices into 1st mixture (flour cornstarch mixture).
7. Toss well to coat all pieces.
8. Remove rings and place into 2nd mixture (egg mixture).
9. Toss well to coat pieces.
10. Shake off excess and place rings into 3rd mixture (panko mixture).
(If mixture becomes clumpy, make another batch for bowl 3.)
11. Place rings into a single layer on a Baker Secret Pan or ½ sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
12. Allow the prepared rings to chill in the freezer until firm (1 hour minimum).
13. After hour, pour oil into bowl.
14. Remove rings from freezer.
15. Place cooling rack on ½ sheet pan.
16. Gently flip rings in oil until all breading has absorbed oil.
17. Place oiled rings on cooling rack.
18. Allow to drain excess oil.
19. Place drained ring on Baker’s Secret pan.
20. Place oven rack in center of oven.
21. Preheat to 350°F using Bake or Convect Roast. (Use Air Fry mode if available.)
22. Place Baker’s Secret pan in the oven and bake 20 minutes. (Using Bake mode may require extra cook time.)
23. Carefully remove pan of rings from oven.
24. Serve hot.